Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ironman, I'm Registered


Yep, you heard me! Today I registered and am officially signed up for my first ironman triathlon event. It's part of the Ironman race series and is being held at the National Harbor in nearby Maryland. This will be a half ironman race consisting of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run, totaling 70.3 miles. [If you ever see a 70.3 bumper sticker, that's what that means.] I'm very excited about this event since I'm already in very good shape for those distances, and will only get stronger as the spring and summer approach. 

I've only ever done one triathlon before, but that was a very short sprint tri, so this will be my first one of any significant distance. Additionally, I wasn't in any sort of biking or running shape when I did that sprint tri and still fared pretty well, so I expect to really be able to put down a very solid effort for this upcoming one. I say upcoming, but it's still almost 8 months away. Nevertheless, I'm very excited to get this under my belt and help me get one step closer to my end goal of finishing a full ironman one day.....which WILL happen! For more event details click THIS LINK. Here's some great pictures of people reaching the finish line at various triathlon's, you know, in case you need the motivation. Enjoy!










1 comment:

Patty said...

I am so sorry i'm going to miss this - but the hot tub will be available for those sore muscles!!