Wednesday, March 28, 2012

American Odyssey Relay

Ever ran from Gettysburg to Washington DC? No? Well, I'm about to.

...Let me clarify, I'm about to run on a relay team that will cover the entire distance, there's no way I could do that much mileage by myself! I got recruited by a friend to join a relay team that will run from Gettysburg all the way down to D.C. It's called the American Odyssey Relay and it's taking place from April 27th to the 28th. The race will span roughly 200 miles, and our team will be responsible for covering all of them. Fortunately, someone else is the team captain, so they'll be in charge of the logistics, of who will run when, how many legs someone will do, etc. The race in non-stop though, so we'll be running right through the night as well [you can see parts of that in the video below.]

I've never done anything like this before so I'm very excited to give it a whirl and see how things go. I'm also curious how many miles I'll end up doing total, even if they're only in 5-6 mile stints at a time. My guess is that I'll cover another marathon distance, if not more. Fortunately I'll have a couple hours of rest in between each run....at least I hope I will!

Anyways, I will be sure to take as many pictures as possible and report back in another month with how the race goes! In the meantime, check out this great video below from last year's event. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Erika said...

One of my friends from work is doing this!

Patty said...

Oh my gosh - this looks amazing! How many on your team??