Friday, March 23, 2012

New Wheels

Just over a year ago I bought my first road bike from a friend on mine. The deal was just too good to pass up, and I rode that bike a lot last year, in fact the picture at the top of this blog is one I took of my bike on a nice long evening ride heading out west at some point last summer. [May have to take an updated shot in the coming months to reflect the recent upgrades to the bike!]

Anyways, I'd been thinking about picking up a new aero wheel set for my bike that is both lighter and far more aerodynamic that my previous wheels. I wanted a set that I could still use on an everyday basis and also be able to swap over to a tri specific bike for triathlon races if I wanted. What I decided on [with the recommendation of a friend of mine] was the new Bontrager Aeolus 5 D3 Carbon Clinchers. These wheels are 100% carbon fiber and have a dish of 50mm. Basically they're much lighter, stiffer, and will cut through the wind much easier than my previous set. They came in last week but I didn't have a chance to swap them out until last night. Too bad the weather isn't looking so good for this weekend, cause I'm anxious to take them out for a nice long ride, esp now that I can hop back on the bike since my marathon is done! Here's a simple picture I took of the bike last night....and yes, I know my bar tape is dirty and I need to re-wrap the bars with some fresh tape! But those wheels....oh lawwwd those wheels!

It just looks fast!

Here's a stock image of the wheels so you can see
what they look like a little more up close.



1 comment:

Patty said...

I bet those are pricey wheels! Hopefully, they'll get you the results you want.