Monday, May 17, 2010

Carb Rebuild

So unfortunately I've been having some problems with my bike lately. Big time bummer since I just got the thing and was planning on using it for commuting. Anyways, I began troubleshooting the issues recently and am happy to report that it is back together and running almost back to normal. Still have one or two other things to check out, but progress was definitely made.

One thing I did was to replace the spark plug, and also to take apart the carburetor on the bike, clean it, and put it all back together. For those unaware, on a non-fuel injected vehicle, the carburetor is a device that mixes the air and fuel before sending it into the engine to be burned up. I had never attempted anything like this before, but with the service manual by my side it wasn't overly difficult. Plus I learned a lot. Here's some pics of the strip down, and carb rebuild.

New spark plug next to old one [with tons of carbon build up on it.]
My bike, minus the plastics, seat, and gas tank

That little gap is where the carburetor goes
Here's what it looks like
And here it is completely taken apart. The little gold things are the jets for the fuel, and the stuff on the left is the float, float bowl, needles, and hoses -- All cleaned up

No comments: